While the thought of establishing a healthier lifestyle sounds appealing, the truth is… it can be harder than you think. Old habits can be hard to break and new habits can be hard to make. The following steps are designed to start you down the path to a healthier you:
- Start with a plan. Decided what you want your end goal to be and write it down. Some examples could be a desired weight, frequency of exercise, a healthier diet, etc. Healthwise suggests that making a plan to become healthier, is an important step in becoming a healthier person.
- Take that plan that you wrote down and create mini-steps that will help you accomplish that goal. If you are hoping to reach a target weight, create a goal to lose a portion of that weight by a certain date, another portion of the weight by another date, etc. until you meet your target weight.
- Keep your goals written down in a visible place to help maintain your motivation to accomplish what you’ve set out to do.
- Hold yourself accountable. The MayoClinic suggests that you have a special place where you can evaluate how you did on your goals each day. If you weren’t able to stick to your goals that day, make a note as to how you will do better the next day.
- Reward yourself. Each time one of your goals is met, reward yourself. Not only will this motivate you to accomplish your goals, but it will create a desire within yourself to make new goals and work to accomplish them.